Thursday, January 8, 2009

Little Man and the tale of the middle finger

Yesterday we were out with friends and I happened to glance at Nanners and she was holding up her middle finger.

"Nanners, what are you doing?"

N: "I'm having a bad day."

me: "But why are you doing... *that*?"

N: "It means I'm having a bad day."

Little Man notices what Nanners is doing and gasps in horror.

LM: "Nanners, that doesn't mean you are having a bad day, that means the F word!"

N: (puts finger down): "Oh."

LM (holds out his pinky finger): "How about I hold my piggy finger?"

N: (laughs)

LM: "See, I can always make her laugh if I call my pinky a piggy."

N: (laughs again)


Later on, once we were at home, Little Man asked me why there are some things that adults can say and do that kids are not allowed to say and do.

I said, "That's because as we get older, we have more choices. Just like how each year you get older you get to make more of your choices, but that's why adults can say words or use gestures or do things that kids cannot."

LM: "Oh. You mean like how adults can have sex?"

me: "That's a conversation for another day."

No comments:

Post a Comment