Saturday, November 7, 2009

Little Man's exciting wkend (so far)

So, due to illness at his father's house, Little Man is spending the wkend at home.

This caused some not-so-nice behaviour from him on Thursday, to the point where we almost kept him home from Kung Fu class.

(Luckily we did NOT keep him home and he got to earn his 2nd black stripe).

After his class, we had a talk with him about the fact that when he is angry or upset or disappointed about something that we really need him to use his words and talk to us about how he is feeling, rather than acting out.

Little Man said he wasn't "brave enough" to tell us at first. It's interesting in that he has used similar phrasing after he'd gotten upset with my Brother-in-law a number of months ago as he'd taken something my BIL had said teasingly as a serious statement of fact.

Though Little Man did eventually get on the phone with his uncle and tell him how he felt and then everything was fine between them again.

This time Little Man also said that it was "hard to talk about."

I am glad he is working so hard on understanding, owning and expressing his feelings as that is often challenging for children on the autism spectrum.

But we explained to Little Man that it's nobody's fault that he couldn't go to his father's this wkend because no one plans on being sick and no one WANTS to be sick.

We also told him we'd try to ensure he had an extra-fun wkend.

On Friday (which was a PD Day at Little Man's school) I had a pre-birth clinic appt at the nearby hospital so one of our good friends agreed to watch Little Man since his two best friends are her sons.

I had a killer migraine and felt like crap.

Did the appt, got T. to pick me up (he ended up hanging with our friend and the 3 kids) and then went to pick up Little Man and I was feeling really rough.

She offered to keep him so I could go home and try and sleep off my migraine.

We gladly accepted her offer.

I got home, puked 6x on my front lawn as soon as I stepped out of the car, and then I passed out on the couch for about 7 hrs, waking for maybe 10 mins here and there to sip some water and eat a piece of toast.

The next amazing offer was for Little Man to have a sleepover at their house (he's done it once before and LOVED it) so we again accepted and Little Man was cheering and then all 3 boys burst into spontaneous song on their end of the phone.

I then slept for 11 or 12 hrs last night (though, obviously had to get up to pee a few times).

Feeling better today and quite happy that Little Man has had an awesome wkend so far.

Also quite thankful that we have such amazing friends :>

No comments:

Post a Comment